QUSTEC Doctoral Program: IBM Research, Switzerland
QUSTEC doctoral program in the area of Understanding and engineering microscopic sources of noise in solid-state quantum devices / MSCA at the IBM Research – Zurich, Switzerland
RESEARCH FIELD: Physics
RESEARCHER PROFILE: First Stage Researcher (R1), Recognised Researcher (R2), Established Researcher (R3), Leading Researcher (R4)
Solid-state quantum devices are rapidly maturing towards useful technology, promising advances in a variety of fields ranging from computation to chemistry and communication. Their performance is currently typically limited by noise, causing loss of information and decoherence. One particular source of noise relevant to solid-state are ensembles of microscopic two-level systems (TLS) interacting with the devices. These are thought to reside on surfaces as well as inside oxide layers, but their exact microscopic origin is not yet understood.
PhD supervisors : Dr Clemens Müller and Dr Andreas Fuhrer
Eligibility Criteria and requirements
- A solid background in quantum mechanics, quantum optics and quantum information theory, ideally with previous experience in the theory of open quantum system.
- The candidate must be curious to learn and expand her/his expertise on quantum circuit design, condensed matter physics, materials science, surface chemistry, and experimental data analysis.
- Excellent coding skills and a working knowledge of Mathematica and Python are expected.
QUSTEC program follows MSCA eligibility criteria:
- Required level of experience is ‘Early Stage Researcher’ according to the definition in the work program of the 2018-2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions (MSCA)
- Applicants must, at the date of the respective call deadline of QUSTEC, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
Mobility criterion: The applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the future host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline of QUSTEC.
|Subject areas||Science, Technology, Physics|
|Fellowship amount||As per MSCA rules|
|Eligibility||Open to all|