The Department of Archaeology and Ancient History at Uppsala University is inviting applications for one full-time, postdoctoral research position in African Heritage, Remote Sensing and GIS, generously supported by Arcadia – a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin.
About the position:
- The post-doctoral researcher will be employed on the Mapping Africa’s Endangered Archaeological Sites and Monuments (MAEASaM) project.
- This is a three-year project that aims to identify and document endangered archaeological heritage sites across sub-Saharan Africa using a combination of remote sensing, records-based research and selective archaeological surveys.
- Applicant must hold a PhD/D.Phil. in Archaeology (or a related and relevant subject) or have submitted a thesis at this level, together with relevant experience in African archaeology and/or heritage management.
- Experience in computational and/or digital approaches in archaeology, in remote sensing (ideally ENVI and/or ERDAS Imagine), and GIS (ideally ArcGIS, and/or QGIS)
- Experience in archaeological field documentation and archaeological survey techniques, especially image interpretation, ideally within sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proven ability to manage their own academic research and associated activities
- Ability and willingness to travel (nationally and internationally) and to work flexibly to support the activities of the project
- Previous experience of contributing to publications/presentations
- Ability to contribute ideas for new research projects and research income generation
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write good English text for publication, present research proposals and results, and represent the research group at meetings
Apply online and the application must include the following:
- CV minimally indicating educational background and degrees, publications, grant track record and previous relevant research experience
- A cover letter or personal statement, outlining reasons for applying and why candidate think he/she is a strong candidate for the post.
- Digital copies of at least ONE publication that best illustrates suitability for the post.
- The names and contact details of two professional referees who can comment on the applicant’s academic experience and research outputs.
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||31 August 2020|