SAO Predoctoral Program by the Center For Astrophysics, Harvard-Smithsonian Center For Astrophysics.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Program is designed for graduate students wishing to carry out all or part of their thesis research at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.
- Applicants must have completed preliminary coursework and examinations prior to the start of the Program.
- Applicants must gain approval of the Department Head of their particular university as their degrees will be granted by their home institutions.
Selecting an Advisor:
All applications to the Fellowship Program require an endorsement (form) from the SAO scientist who has agreed to serve as an academic advisor and potential financial sponsor. Applicants must directly contact an SAO scientist in their particular research area. Program applications are initiated by an SAO scientist through an endorsement (form) uploaded to the application and a shared link to the applicant.
All applicants must either have funding from their home institution or obtain funding directly from their sao advisor.
Award details: The SAO Fellowship is awarded for a period of six (06) months or more dependent on the project. It is possible to renew or extend a SAO Predoc Fellowship Award based on the availability of funding, satisfactory progress, and the agreement of both the home institution advisor and the SAO advisor.
Start Date: The Program accepts applications through a rolling admissions process. Once a start date is established with the SAO Advisor, the candidate must submit application material si weeks before he/she intends to begin their appointment.
Fellowships / Compensation:
- Stipends for the current academic year are $37,932 or $3,161 / month.
- May also be available for relocation, travel, and other expenses.
Predoc Research Review Committee: In order to support and evaluate the research work of each candidates while in residence at SAO, a Predoctoral Research Review Committee (PRRC) is established for each SAO predoc consisting of three (03) members. Each candidate presents their work annually to their committee for review and discussion.
|Organization||Center For Astrophysics, Harvard-Smithsonian Center For Astrophysics|
|Subject areas||All Disciplines|
|Fellowship amount||Varies for both positions|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|