Two Postdoctoral Research Fellows are required for the ERC-funded project “Medical translation in the history of modern genomics” led by Dr. Miguel Garcia-Sancho examining the history of the international initiatives to map and sequence the human, pig and yeast genomes. One post will explore the yeast genome initiative and the other the mapping and sequencing of the pig genome.
These two full-time, fixed-term posts are available for 42 months from no later than 1st October 2016.
About the Project:
The Transgene project will study the history of the international ingenuities to map and sequence the human, pig and yeast genomes. The main emphasis of the research will be reconstructing how each genome initiative envisioned the translation of sequence information into medical outcomes that would possibly improve human and animal health.
The goals of the project are to determine:
- how these visions of translation invented and changed throughout the life of each genome initiative;
- how these changing visions of translation shaped the organization of the human, yeast and pig genome projects;
- what lessons, if any, these visions of translation and underlying organizational models may provide for current translational research efforts
Qualifications and Requirements:
- PhD or equivalent degree with some experience in History of Science, Science and Technology Studies or cognate field.
- Familiarity in using archives as a research source and/or conducting oral histories. Capability to engage critically with the technical content of genomics.
- Aptitude to author high quality publications. Admirable interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team as well as self-sufficiently.
- A track record of high quality publications.
- Applications to be submitted online
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter (two pages) clarifying your suitability for the post.
- Indicate which genome initiative (yeast or pig) you would prefer to address
- One published or unpublished writing sample of up to 5,000 words.
|Organization||University of Edinburgh|
|Subject areas||Science and Technology|
|Fellowship amount||£31,656 – £37,768 per annum|
|Deadline||08 June 2016|
Contact Person: Dr. Miguel Garchia Sancho
Contact Number: 0131 650 6518
Contact Email: Miguel.GSancho@ed.ac.uk
For Further Details: Click