TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
For young researchers from developing countries (except Malaysia) who wish to pursue studies towards a PhD degree in Natural Sciences at the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
- Agricultural Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Mathematical Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
Age limit 35
Sandwich option No
Minimum degree held MSc
Duration Up to 3 years
Deadline 31 August 2018
- TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in departments, institutions and labs of Universiti Sains Malaysia for up to three years to PhD studies in the natural sciences.
- Candidates will enrol for their PhD at USM department or laboratory according to USM’s academic calendar and be ready to start their fellowship accordingly.
- The award of the scholarship is subject to acquiring in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be sanctioned by the relevant USM School. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will required to contact in due course Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) of USM to apply for final offer letter.
- USM will provide a standard allowance per month which should be used to cover living costs.
- The language of instructions is English.
Candidates for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Maximum age considered of applicant is 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in areas of natural sciences.
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS). Applications for Acceptance Letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (at emails: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting IPS Dean applicants mustsupplement their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL following documents:
- – updated CV;
- – a brief research proposal (maximum 5 pages);
- – scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) with CGPA 3.5 and above and related credentials;
- – two referee letters;
- – provide proof of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS);
- – a scanned copy of front page of their publications.
Only requests for acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by IPS, USM.
- Please apply for the acceptance letter from the IPS Dean before deadline. NB: Acceptance letter will not be issued by the Dean of IPS, USM after 1 September.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of fellowship;
- Candidates must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when requesting to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments though e-mail to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain USM/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Candidates for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
|Organization||Universiti Sains Malaysia|
|Subject areas||Natural sciences|
|Eligibility||Masters- Developing countries except Malaysia|
|Deadline||15 July 2019|
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
- Name of Organisation Field Value