The Department III, Artifacts, Action, Knowledge at Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, directed by Prof. Dr. Dagmar Schäfer, offers Several Visiting Scholarships (residential, 3–12 months) to take place in the period September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2023.
About the scholarship:
- Applications are invited from scholars to apply for participation in the Working Group “Visualizations and Material Cultures of the Heavens in Eurasia and North Africa (4000 BCE–1700 CE)” of Department III. The Working Group’s research focuses on visual representations and material objects in the creation, change, and movement of astral knowledge across space and time.
- Applications from scholars in every field within history, history of science and technology, art history, archaeology, philology, cultural history, religious studies, or museum studies, with a focus on visual representations or objects and some preference for research addressing the multilingual and transregional nature of the project.
- Successful applicants are expected to advance their own research project under the Working Group’s overall research agenda, and to actively contribute to the Working Group activities during their period of affiliation.
- Visiting scholars receive a stipend commensurate with rank and experience for their period of residence, and reimbursement for a return ticket to and from their place of residence.
Apply online and include the following:
- Cover letter (indicating your preferred period of residence)
- CV (including a list of publications)
- A research prospectus on a topic related to the project (1000 words maximum)
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for the History of Science|
History, History of Science and Technology, Art History, Archaeology, Philology, Cultural History, Religious Studies, Museum Studies
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||May 31, 2021|