Jobs, Higher educations
L’Oréal USA For Women in Science Fellowships: The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each for their contributions in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations.
The program is the U.S. component of the L’Oreal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowships. Celebrating its twelfth year in the U.S., the For Women in Science program has awarded 60 postdoctoral women scientists nearly $3 million in grants.
L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process. Each year, the program attracts talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing some of the nation’s leading academic institutions and laboratories.
About the Program
For more information about the L’Oréal USA For Women in Science program, please visit:www.lorealusa.com/forwomeninscience
To view a PDF of the frequently asked questions regarding the program, please click here.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Must have a conferred PhD and have started in a postdoctoral research position by December 31, 2015
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of October 4-7, 2016 for the For Women in Science Awards Week
The Selection Process
To ensure that the candidates who are selected represent scientific excellence, the program utilizes a two-phased application review process.
In the first round, applications are evaluated by experienced scientists in the candidates’ respective fields. In the second round, a distinguished Jury of eminent scientists evaluates the top-ranked candidates and selects the five winners.
Candidates are Evaluated for Overall Excellence with a Focus On:
- Intellectual merit, academic records and accepted requisites for scholarly scientific study
- Ability to plan and conduct research either as a member of a team or independently
- Scientific excellence and appropriateness of proposed research
- Evidence of originality, initiative and productivity
- Choice of host institution and department mentor
- Potential for career enhancement if awarded the Fellowship
- Commitment to supporting women and girls in science
L’Oréal USA For Women in Science uses a secure certificate (SSL) for confidential encrypted communication between you and our server. Learn more about SSL certificates here. You should see a locked icon in either the bar at the bottom of your browser or in the URL bar. You can click on the image to the left to confirm this site is secure.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), which is dedicated to advancing science around the world, is the official administrator for the L’Oréal USA For Women in Science program. In this capacity, AAAS:
- Process fellowship grants payments
- Collect and review interim and final progress reports
- Facilitate professional networking opportunities for all interested fellowship recipients
For more information about AAAS and its programs, please visit: http://www.aaas.org.
Deadline: Completed applications are due no later than February 5, 2016. Award will be announced October 6, 2016.