PhD Student positions @ ICFO (Fall term 2015): ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences, in collaboration with the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC), is offering predoctoral fellowships to well-qualified graduate students who wish to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the research fields active at ICFO.
PhD students will be enrolled in the PhD Program, that targets the most advanced topics in optical sciences and technologies and its applications, and will have access to cutting-edge experimental infrastructures, specialized seminars, tailor-made training programs and active mentoring by ICFO Group Leaders. Entrepreneurship, commercialization techniques and seminars in the area of professional and personal development are also an integral part of the curricula.
Research lines include, but are not limited to:
- Biophotonics and photo-medicine,
- Graphene opto-electronics,
- Nanophotonics and Nanotechnology,
- Nonlinear Optics and Frequency conversion,
- Quantum Optics and Quantum Information,
- Atto-science and Ultrafast Laser Science,
- Optical Sensing and Optoelectronics,
- Green Photonics and Photovoltaics,
- Nanoscopy and Super-resolution Imaging
The ICFO-UPC PhD Fellowship Program welcomes applications from individuals with a variety of backgrounds, including optics, physics, mathematics, electronics, engineering, chemistry and biology.
Candidates must have obtained an equivalent to 300 ECTS in their previous studies, out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS must have been obtained in postgraduate studies. An internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree is compulsory for starting PhD-studies in Spain. The degree must be in a field of science and engineering related to the research activities active at ICFO.
The positions are offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to four years. Renewal is subject to satisfactory performance in the PhD studies and related research activities, evaluated annually by the Thesis Director and the ICFO PhD Committee.
To apply for a PhD fellowship position @ ICFO, suitable candidates are requested to submit (in English):
– A cover letter with declaration of research interests,
– A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
– Scanned copies of your complete (Bachelor and Master equivalent) University academic transcriptAs in English or Spanish,
– Scanned copies of the degree certificates, if available at the time of application,
– The contact e-mail of at least two potential referees.
– If available, scanned copy of standardized test results (GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Note that submission of test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
Note that the applications shall be submitted exclusively online via http://jobs.icfo.eu.
Required application material (see above) must be complete in order to be considered.
The deadline for submission of applications for the present call is: September 30, 2015.
Applicants will be notified the results of the first evaluation stage by October 31, 2015.
If an applicant has been selected for the second evaluation stage, the interested group leaders of ICFO will contact personally with that candidate in order to determine research interests or suitability of the candidate for the interested research group. This second evaluation period is designated to be finished by November 30, 2015, at the latest.
All candidates will be notified of the decision in their case. In case of positive evaluation, the candidate will receive an official offer from the ICFO. The selected candidate will have 2 weeks to confirm his/ her decision.
Deadline: 30th of September, 2015