PhD Candidate in Neuroscience at Institute of Basic Medical Sciences (IMB): A position as PhD Candidate (SKO 1017) is available at the Department of Molecular Medicine, Division of Physiology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences (IMB), in the Brain Signalling group (Professor Johan F. Storm), in an EU-funded project on consciousness research that also involves other European groups and Oslo University hospital.
The IMB pursue education and research to promote basic medical knowledge in order to understand normal processes, provide insight into mechanisms that cause illness, and promote good health. More information about the Institute can be found here: link
The IMB has a strategic ambition of being a leading research institute. Candidates will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
The successful applicants will join a multidisciplinary and international team to work on brain networks, connectivity, and brain states (sleep/wake, anesthesia, disorders of consciousness) in humans, mice, and/or computational models.
- Applicants must hold a Master degree in Neuroscience, Basal or Clinical Neurophysiology, Medicine, or Neurotechnology.
- Interest in neuroscience, consciousness research, electrophysiology.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- In addition, experience with electrophysiology, imaging or computational modelling – such as EEG, optogenetics, imaging, 2-photon /laser microscopy, magnetic stimulation (TMS), modelling /advanced data analysis (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Neuron), or rodent behavior, will be positively evaluated.
The candidate should be able to work independently and structured, while at the same time engage in close collaborations.Team-working abilities and personal skills will be emphasized.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the relevance of the candidate’s background.
The fellowship requires admission to the PhD program at the Medical Faculty at the UiO. For more information see:
- An interesting and challanging assignment
- salary ranging from pay frade: 50 -57 NOK 460 500 – NOK 483 700 per year
- favourable pension arrangement
- attractive welfare arrangements
Documents required: The application must include:
- A one-page statement of motivation, research interests and a brief description of previous relevant experience.
- Copies of educational certificates
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
- Optional: letters of recommendation.
Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system.
In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
UiO has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
Applications must be delivered in EasyCruit. Applications sent by email will not be accepted.
- Application deadline:10th January 2016
- Expected Start Date:1th April 2016
- Location: Domus Medica
- Reference number: 2015/15243
- Home page:http://www.med.uio.no/
Professor Johan Storm
Telephone: +47 22851246
Mobile: +47 99295763