PhD Program at University of Leeds: Please consider which areas of chemistry research you are interested in and look at our research pages and project opportunities. You don’t need to contact a potential supervisor before putting in an application but feel free to do so.
We do not need you to write a research proposal for the application itself but we would like you to outline areas of research that you would like to pursue.
You can identify particular supervisors and/or projects but please ALSO tell us the broader area of chemistry that you are interested in.
The School offers full-time PhD and MSc programmes but also considers applications from those wishing to study on a part-time basis. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified students.
PhD candidates must have, or expect to achieve a first or upper second class degree, or equivalent. For an MSc by Research you must have an upper second class degree.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you will be required to produce evidence of a language qualification before registration as a postgraduate student. The School of Chemistry will accept the following qualifications and scores:
- IELTS – an overall band of 6.0 with no individual skill band below 5.5 in all components
- iBT TOEFL – (Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language): a score of 87 overall with Listening 20; Reading 20; Speaking 22; Writing 21.
Other English Language qualifications may be acceptable, please contact us
to find out more.
Once you have decided your preferred areas of research, you can apply online.
1. Please ensure you state your areas of research in order of preference on the application form. You are also welcome to indicate specific research projects that particularly interest you.
2. In addition to the application form we require sight of any degree qualifications you may have together with transcripts of your academic records showing detailed marks in courses you have taken. Please upload your transcripts with your online application. You should also upload a covering letter, CV and English language certificates (where appropriate).
3. We require two academic references. A reference request form (PDF) is available for you to download here. These should be uploaded with your online application.
Alternatively, you can apply by post. An application form can be requested from here. Once completed, your application, references and supporting documents should be sent to:
Research Postgraduate Admissions,
School of Chemistry,
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are given careful consideration on academic grounds but we can only review your application once we have received all the necessary supporting documents. Suitably qualified applicants may be invited for an interview.
We welcome applications from students with disabilities. Visit the Equality Servicewebsite for more information.
The school also offers taught MSc degrees in Chemical Biology, Chemical Process Research and Development, Colour and Imaging Science and Polymers and Surface Coatings Science and Technology.
More information on these programmes can be found here.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility to study please contact Postgraduate Admissions at;
Phone +44 (0)113 343 6552