Postdoctoral research position in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance at CENTRE FOR MICROSCOPY, CHARACTERISATION AND ANALYSIS (CMCA) for 3 year appointment with a Salary range: Level 7 $79,578 – $88,518 p.a.
The University of Western Australia is a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight and ranked among the top 100 universities in the world, with a broad and balanced coverage of disciplines in the arts, sciences and major professions.
For the past 100 years, UWA has contributed significantly to the intellectual, cultural and economic development of the State of Western Australia and the nation as a whole.
The is the Western Australian node of the Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility, and of the National Imaging Facility, national infrastructure networks of Australian university-based characterisation facilities providing premium analytical capabilities and high-end research support to local, national and international scientists (www.ammrf.org.au and www.anif.org.au). The CMCA hosts a diverse range of analytical capabilities and characterisation techniques, from flow cytometry, preclinical imaging and laser-confocal microscopy to high-resolution SEM and TEM and ion probe platforms.
As Senior Research Officer you will be involved in the day-to-day operation of the NMR instrumentation, where you will provide user training and support and participate in collaborative research opportunities, this will include providing support to researchers in all aspects of their projects, including experimental design, sample preparation, data acquisition and interpretation. You will also take responsibility for the archiving and transfer of data, maintaining the laboratory in good working order, and performing routine maintenance on the instrument, including liquid N2 and He top-ups as necessary.
In addition it is expected that you will contribute to the development and delivery of training programs, provide on-going support to, and develop collaborations with, researchers making use of relevant CMCA facilities leading to published research outcomes.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A relevant degree with substantial research/technical experience in a relevant subject area and a higher-degree by research preferred;
- Substantial experience of hands-on NMR spectroscopy, data collection, experiment design and interpretation;
- Evidence of the capacity to operate high-end NMR instrumentation at an advanced level;
- Capacity to provide clear instruction to students and researchers;
- Ability to support interdisciplinary research projects from concept through to publication;
- Knowledge and experience in related analytical techniques (e.g., mass spectrometry) or demonstrated capacity to learn and apply new analytical techniques;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and contribute as a senior member of a team; and
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet and email.
Deadline: Friday 31 July 2015
This position is open to international applications.
Benefits include 17% employer superannuation, generous leave provisions and fares to Perth (if applicable) for appointee and dependents along with a removal allowance. These and other benefits will be specified in the offer of employment.
Applications must be submitted online (http://www.jobs.uwa.edu.au/). Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Please see the position description prior to applying: 314228.pdf
For any questions related to a position advertised or the recruitment process, please contact:
Sarah Duke, Manager Recruitment & Attraction+61 8 6488 4273; email@example.com
or Vesna Pribicevic, HR Officer Advertising+618 6488 3545; firstname.lastname@example.org
or Cara Dobinson, Senior Recruitment Consultant+ 618 6488 1922; email@example.com