POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP TO WOMEN CANDIDATES
The UGC has changed the name of the old scheme “Part Time Research Associateship for Women” as “Post Doctoral Fellowship for Women candidates”. The unemployed women candidates holding Ph.D. degree in their respective subject areas with an aim to accelerate the talented instincts of the women candidates to carry out the advanced studies and research.2. Objective
The objective of this award is to provide an opportunity to carry out the advanced studies and research in science, engineering and technology, humanities and social sciences in Indian Universities and Colleges recognized under Section 2 (f) and fit to receive assistance under section 12(B)of the UGC Act 1956/Institutes of National Importance established by the Central/State Government. The candidate should not be more than 55 years of age as on 1st July of the year of application. The total duration of the fellowship is five years. There shall be reservation for SC/ST/OBC/Physically Handicapped candidates as per provision of the constitution and instructions issued by the Govt. of India from time to time. 55% marks at UG level and 60% of marks at PG level in case of general/open category, while for reserved category candidates, those will be 50% at UG level and 55% at PG level respectively. Age up to 55 years for the candidates belonging to general/open category and that will be 60 years for reserved category/minority community. Only Ph.D awarded unemployed candidates will be eligible for the award of Post Doctoral Fellowship.
Target Group: Unemployed women with Ph.D. degrees and an aptitude for research.
Eligibility: The candidate must have a doctorate degree in the relevant subject preferably with published research work to their credit
3. In case of general/open category, 55% marks at UG level and 60% of marks at PG level. For reserved categories (SC/ST/OBC/PH) candidates, 50% at UG level and 55% at PG level. The upper age limit for applicants is 55 years for the candidates belonging to general/open category and 60 years for SC/ST/OBC/PH/Minority communities, as on 1st July on the year of application.
4. Nature of Assistance available under the Scheme The number of slots available under the scheme are 100 per year. The tenure of the award is five years with no provision for further extension.
The financial assistance available under the scheme is as follows:
HRA: Post Doctoral Fellowship provided with accommodation in hostel recognized/ maintained by the institutions may be reimbursed the hostel fee, excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc. A certificate to this effect is to be furnished through the Registrar/Director/Principal (Annexure-II). If Post Doctoral Fellow makes her own arrangements of accommodation, she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of the cities by the Government of India. The Post Doctoral Fellow will submit a certificate for this purpose to the UGC for claiming HRA through the concerned University/Institution/College.
Medical: No separate/fixed medical assistance is provided. However, the Post Doctoral Fellow may avail of the medical facilities available in the University/Institution/ College.
Leave: Leave for maximum period of 30 days in a year in addition to public holidays may be taken by the Post Doctoral Fellow with the approval of the Head of Department. However, they are not entitled to any other vacations, such as summer, winter and pooja vacations. Women candidates are eligible for maternity leave at full rates of the fellowship for 135 days as per
Government of India rules once during the tenure of their award. The fellow in special cases may be allowed by the Commission leave without fellowship and contingency for a period not exceeding three months during the tenure of award on the recommendation of the Head of department of the institution concerned. The period of leave without fellowship will be counted towards the tenure.
|Fellowship||@ Rs. 18,000/-p.m. After 2 years @ Rs. 20,000/- p.m.* Revised as decided by the Commission vide Item No.4.09 in its meeting held on 4th August, 2009 as below:|
@Rs.25,000/- p.m. for 2 years (fixed)
(^Rs.30,000/- p.m. after 2 years (fixed)
|Contingency||@Rs.50,000/-p.a. for five years|
|10% of Post Doctoral Fellowship to the host institution|
|@ Rs. 2000/- p.m. (fixed) in cases of physically disabled & blind candidates|
5. Procedure for applying for the scheme
The candidates fulfilling the eligibility conditions are required to apply against the advertisement to be published by the UGC every year in the prescribed format (Annexure-I) The selections would be made with the help of an Expert Committee as per the procedure of the Commission.
6. Procedure for Approval by the UGC
The applications received will be scrutinised by the screening committee. Later, the short listed candidates will be called to appear before the selection committee, constituted by the Commission. No TA/DA will be paid for appearing in the interview. The decision of the Commission will be final. The Commission reserves the right to withdraw/cancel the award without assigning any reason.
7. Procedure for release of grant by the UGC
On receipt of Joining Report ( Annexure-III ) of the fellow together with required documents, the UGC office would release the first installment of the admissible grant to the concerned institution. Thereafter, the grant is released on receipt of the Utilisation Certificate and statement of expenditure for the last grant paid (Annexures- IV, V, VI). On completion of the award, an audited utilisation certificate is to be submitted by the University/Institution/College where the fellow has worked under the scheme.
8. Procedure for monitoring the Progress of the Scheme
• The research associate shall submit, through the senior faculty member with whom she is working and the head of the department/university, a half-yearly report on the progress of her research work. (Annexure-VII). On completion of the award she will submit to theCommission a comprehensive report and a copy of her published work, if any, and an
abstract of the research work in about 500 words.
• If she wishes to leave the associateship before the end of the tenure, it should be done with prior approval of the Commission as per the requirements of the undertaking given by the associate. For appearing in any examination conducted by any university or public body, the prior approval of the Commission should be obtained.
• An annual progress report of the research work done by the associate may be examined by a departmental research committee constituted by the university/institute and recommendations/comments of the committee may be sent to this office for consideration. In case the progress of the work is found unsatisfactory, the award may be terminated by the Commission at any time during the tenure of the award. The decision of the Commission in this regard will be final.
• The associate shall not accept or hold any appointment, paid or otherwise, or receive any emoluments, salary, stipend, etc. from any other source during the tenure of the award. However, no extension is permissible beyond the total period five years, at the end of which period the awardee ceases to be a UGC part-time research associate with immediate effect. Any claim/reference to this effect will be illegal and the individual may have to face disciplinary action.
9. There shall be reservation for SC/ST/OBC/Physically Handicapped candidates as per provision of the constitution and instructions issued by the Govt. of India from time to time.
As per decision of the Chairman, UGC vide F.No. 15-1/2008(SA-II) dated 06.07.2010:
The candidates of SC/ST/OBC/PH categories having 50% marks at UG level and 55% marks at PG level and upto the age of 60 years are eligible to apply under the Scheme. The candidates belonging to Minority category upto the age of 60 are eligible to apply under the Scheme. Only Ph.D. awarded unemployed candidates will be eligible for the award of Post Doctoral Fellowship.
10. Cancellation of Award
The fellowship is liable to cancellation, in case of:
• Unsatisfactory progress of research work
• Candidate is later found ineligible