Postdoctoral Scientist in Biotechnology (POST REF: 15P-74): The Pirbright Institute is a unique national centre that works through its highly innovative fundamental and applied bioscience to enhance the UK capability to contain, control, and eliminate viral diseases of animals and viruses that spread from animals to humans.
We thereby support the competitiveness of UK livestock and poultry producers, and improve the health and quality of life of both animals and people. The Pirbright Institute is currently situated on two campuses, Pirbright Laboratory in Surrey and Compton Laboratory in Berkshire. The process of transferring Compton Laboratory activities to Pirbright is underway.
General introduction: A post-doctoral scientist with practical experience of immunology is required to work on footand-mouth disease (FMD) vaccine in a BBSRC funded research project within the Vaccine Differentiation Group and livestock viral Disease programme at The Pirbright Institute, UK. The research is aimed to enhance the duration of immunity of existing FMD vaccines introducing TLR adjuvants. Please note, the animal part of the experiment will be conducted at the Indian Immunologicals in Hyderabad, India.
ORGANISATION POSITION – The successful candidate will be joining a group with a strong international reputation. This post is part of the Vaccine Differentiation group, and will report to the Head of FMD, Vaccine Differentiation.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The successful candidate will focus on FMD vaccination in cattle and analysis of samples
- The project will involve close links with other staffs and PhD students of the group and other groups within Pirbright Institute, particularly both vesicular and non-vesicular reference laboratories.
- The post holder will be encouraged to present their own work at both domestic and international meetings to publish their data as papers in referred scientific journals.
- An important aspect of the project is the international collaboration with groups in Indian Immunologicals and NIAB, Hyderabad, providing opportunities for exchange visits and imparting and acquiring new skills. The animal experiment will be carried forward at the Indian Immunologicals, Hyderabad.
- The successful candidate will also be expected to write periodic reports concerning their work
- He/she will also be required to help/supervise PhD students within the group
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
BENEFITS OF THE POST – The post is graded at a Band D and is a Limited Term contract with funding for 12 months. The salary is £32,200 to £34,929 depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full time role of 37 hour week, Monday to Friday.
- For those applicants where English is not their first language, please note that the successful applicant must be able to prove their ability to communicate in English. The required standard for the Pirbright Institute has been set as an overall mark of 7.0 in the IELTS qualification (with no lower than 7.0 for listening and reading, no lower than 6.5 for speaking and no lower than 6.0 for writing) or the equivalent in an alternative qualification
Interview to be held on: TBC
HOW TO APPLY: It is an Institute policy to use a Pirbright Institute application form, please ensure that you complete this form as a CV alone will not be accepted.
To view or apply for this vacancy please visit The Pirbright Institute vacancy website, where an application form and further details can be found: http://www.pirbright.ac.uk/jobs/Jobs.aspx (job reference 15P-74).
Please send applications to: Human Resources, The Pirbright Institute, Pirbright, Surrey, GU24 0NF Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are unable to apply on-line, please contact The Pirbright Institute by telephone on 01483 232441 and ask for the Human Resources Department or email email@example.com
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in immunology/virology (s)
- Relevant publications in areas related to virology (s)
- Prior experience with animal experiments (s) Specific skills Essential
- Evidence of networking and the ability to foster collaborative links with other key researchers in the field
- (i) · Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with funding bodies, peer-review groups, government agencies, etc.
- (ii) · Capable of careful, precise work (i) · Time management skills, and able to plan own work and work towards objectives without day-to-day monitoring
- (iii) · Relevant experience of: o FACS o Proliferation assays o ELISpot o RT-PCR o VNT · ELISAs
Closing date: 17th January 2016