Postdoc in Applied Quantitative Genetics, University of Alberta, Dr. Graham Plastow , of methodology for genetic evaluation. Postdoc position in Applied Quantitative Genetics of Livestock at University of Alberta A post-doctoral fellow (PDF) position is available immediately at the Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta. The incumbent will be working with researchers at the Livestock Gentec Center to develop and implement genomic tools to improve feed efficiency and other economic relevant traits in beef cattle.
Tasks and responsibilities: Major research responsibilities include:
(1). Development and implementation of methodology for genetic evaluation of breeding stock for multiple traits;
(2). Development and implementation of methodology to incorporate genomic information into genetic evaluation to improve accuracy;
(4). Development and implementation of multiple trait selection indexes to assist with breeding programs.
(5). Assist with development and maintenance of large databases.
Qualifications / Requirements: Applications must have a
- Ph.D degree from a recognized university in areas of Quantitative Genetics and/or Statistical Genomics.
- Candidates must have a good understanding of theoretical and computational principles related to the analyses of quantitative and molecular data for the purpose of genetic evaluation and genomic prediction.
- The candidates must also demonstrate skills and working experience in computer programming preferably in C, C++, A Sreml, SAS, R or Perl to develop customized programs for genetic evaluation and genomic prediction.
- The ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with colleagues in research and extension is essential. Previous research experience in cattle is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience working with large databases will be an asset.
The initial appointment will be for one year and is renewable upon satisfactory performance. The salary is commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit full curriculum vitae, a statement of qualifications and experience, and names of three referees to:
Dr. Graham Plastow
Professor and CEO, Livestock Gentec Center
Department of Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science
University of Alberta 1400 College Plaza 8215-112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2C8 Email: email@example.com Phone: 780-492-1496; Fax: 780-248-1900