The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Brasilia, Brazil – www.cnpq.br – and The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World [formerly Third World Academy of Sciences] (TWAS), Trieste, Italy – www.twas.org – have agreed to offer up to ten fellowships per year to young scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) who wish to pursue postdoctoral research in natural sciences.
- The fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil (see below) for a period of six to twelve months.
- The fellowships will cover food, accommodation and the cost of international travel (return economy class fare by shortest route).
- The fellowships do not include provisions for accompanying family members or an additional stipend for health insurance (health insurance can be obtained at candidate’s own expense).
- Successful applicants must not take up other assignments during the period of their fellowships.
- Financial support for the fellowships will be provided by the Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology, through the Brazilian Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), and TWAS.
- The academic year in Brazil usually begins on 1 March and the second semester in early August of each year. Candidates must therefore observe the academic calendar of the host institution and be ready to start their fellowship on the first day of classes/courses.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
be nationals of a developing country (other than Brazil).
be regularly employed at a research and/or teaching institution in their home country where they must hold a research assignment.
provide evidence that they will return to their home country upon completion of the fellowship.
provide official letter of acceptance as postdoc from supervisor or head of department at the Brazilian host institution (see below).
Institutions in Brazil
Deadline for receipt of applications is 30 September of each year.
Incomplete/unsigned applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications will ONLY be acknowledged when processed.
NB: Incomplete/unsigned applications will NOT be accepted. This also applies to submissions by fax and electronic mail which must include all enclosures and be signed (either digitally or by including a scanned signature).
Send the ORIGINAL application with all enclosures (on paper or electronically) to:
TWAS Fellowships Office c/o The Abdus Salam Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Strada Costiera 11
34014 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240314
Fax: +39 040 224559
ONE copy with all enclosures (ONLY electronically: ONE message with ONE zipped attachment) to: National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) Assessoria de Cooperação Internacional – ASCIN
Phone: +55 61 2108-9440
Fax: +55 61 2108-9442
Application Form : Brazil_Postdoc