President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida: This Postgraduate Fellowship is announced in honor of President A.P.J. Kalam. President Kalam was a strong advocate for young people and a passionate supporter of clean energy and energy independence.
About the university: USF is committed to promoting globally-competitive undergraduate, graduate and professional programs that support interdisciplinary inquiry, intellectual development and skill acquisition. Every department and administrative unit at the university – from the cashier’s office and physical plant, to academic departments and residence life – is committed to student success. President A.P.J. Kalam visited the University of South Florida (USF) in 2012 and is remembered affectionately by USF and the vibrant Indian heritage community in Tampa Bay, Florida.
|Organization||University of South Florida|
|Fellowship Level||Masters, PhD|
|Subject areas||Applied Anthropology, Applied Physics, Business PhD programs, Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science & Engineering, Engineering, Criminology, Integrative Biology, Marine Science and Psychology|
|Scholarship amount||$2,000 per month|
|Deadline||March 1, 2016|
One award will be offered each academic year effective from the 2016-2017 academic year.
The student award will be offered to an Indian graduate student seeking to pursue a PhD degree in the following subject/discipline at the University of South Florida:
- Applied Anthropology
- Applied Physics
- Business PhD programs
- Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Integrative Biology
- Marine Science
SELECTION OF AWARDEES
Application for the award will be made to USF World, which will also be solely responsible for allocating the award. The Postgraduate Fellowship will recognize laudable Indian students who graduated from an Indian university, have exceptional academic credentials and a passion for the STEM fields of study. Applicants must demonstrate experience in his or her discipline, research productivity, and professional contributions and achievements to the field.
The University of South Florida will:
- Waive all tuition for a total of up to four years,
- Contribute a stipend of $18,000 over the nine months of the fall and spring semesters ($2,000 per month) for up to four years. The Provost’s Office will pay a nine month stipend for the first year with the department/college contributing a teaching/research assistantship for up to an additional three years,
- The total stipend amount will be payable by USF once the winner of the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida is enrolled at the university for his/her first term,
- All other costs (e.g., airfare, housing at USF, etc.) will be met by the awardee.
All candidates must have submitted a USF graduate application and established a university ID number at the USF graduate admissions portal. Once admitted to USF the awardee will comply with all USF regulations, processes and procedures and all applicable law. Upon completion of online application, candidates must scan the following materials and email them to KalamFellowship@usf.edu:
- A letter expressing interest describing his/her academic success and area of intended study
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of research and evidence of scholarly activity
- Three letters of recommendation on academic and/or professional letterhead
- Postgraduate Fellowship Form (Download here)
Last date: March 1, 2016.