The Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D) at the University of Cape Town, South Africa is seeking to appoint three Synthetic Medicinal Chemists as Principal Scientific Officers. These positions will be predominantly laboratory-based with the main purpose in taking a leading role in the design and synthesis of novel compounds to optimize drug-like properties, on discovery projects, in the H3D medicinal chemistry team.Requirements
- A PhD in chemistry specialising in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry
- 2 or more years of relevant postdoctoral experience, most preferably in a drug discovery team either in a university setting or at a pharmaceutical/biotech company
- Proficiency in the use of all equipment in a modern synthetic chemistry laboratory including reaction, purification and characterization techniques
- A track record of publications will be advantageous.
- Independently design and synthesize compounds, within a team setting with the goal to identify pre-clinical drug candidates
- Use structure-activity relationships and other medicinal chemistry practices to aid optimization of “hit to lead” and lead to preclinical candidate
- Provide discipline specific research support to the H3D team
- Supervise the work of H3D laboratory staff and postdoctoral fellows
- Provide technical or IT support as required
The annual cost of employment for 2015 is between R456,154 and R536,638
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms. Edith Graham at email@example.com:
– UCT Application Form (download at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter, and
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are clearly indicated in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Address: Staff Recruitment Office, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch 7700 South Africa
Telephone: +27 21 650 5405 Website: www.h3-d.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E15123 Closing date: 3 August 2015
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving our equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.
PRINCIPAL SCIENTIFIC OFFICER (Synthetic Medicinal Chemist) (5 year contract; 3 posts) H3D Centre – Department of Chemistry Faculty of Science