Introduction: On behalf of Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research and Secretary, Department of Health Research, applications are invited from interested undergraduate MBBS students to participate in the Short Term Studentship Program (STS 2016).
Aims and objectives: The Indian Council of Medical Research initiated the Short Term Studentship Program in 1979 in order to promote interest and aptitude for research among medical undergraduates. The main objective of this program is to provide an opportunity to undergraduate medical students to familiarize themselves with research methodology and techniques by being associated for a short duration with their seniors on ongoing research program or by undertaking independent projects. It was expected that t his may serve as an incentive for them to take up research as a career in the future.
How to Apply: Key dates –
- The student is required to register on ICMR website ONLINE by 10th January 2016, submit the application form and proposal online latest by 25th January 2016 (Monday) which will be evaluated by the Council.
- Results will be announced in April 2016 and list of selected students displayed on the website.
- If selected, the student is expected to complete the project in any two given months between April and September 2016 and submit the report before the last date of submission i.e. 17th October, 2016 (Monday).
- The student will be awarded stipend and certificate only if his/ her report is approved.
- The Institution must provide the student with all facilities for carrying out research.
Rewards: The value of the studentship will be Rs. 5,000/- per month for 2 months’ duration (Rs. 10,000/-only) and is meant to be a stipend for the student. Cost of research must be borne by Medical College/ Institution where research is carried out.
1. This program is only for undergraduate MBBS students before they appear in their final exams and therefore, interns/ PG students are not eligible to apply. Students of paramedical / dental/ non-medical courses may not apply.
2. The student must carry out the research in his/ her own medical college under the guide who is employed in the medical college as a faculty. Only permanent full time faculty members working in any of the Department of the Medical College where the student is enrolled, can act as the guide. Part time consultants/visiting faculty/ residents/ Tutors/ Pool officers/ PG students cannot be the guide.
3. Only one student will be allowed to work under one guide. Two or more students are not permitted to work on same topic together. Proposals submitted on the same topic by different students are liable to be rejected outright. The student may have one Guide and other CoGuides. However, ICMR will recognize only ONE main Guide for all purposes.
4. Indian National students who are studying in recognised medical colleges of India can apply. Students who are holding OCI cards/ PIO cards/ NRI’s studying in Indian medical college can also apply and copy of the OCI/ PIO/ NRI card must be submitted. Students from foreign medical colleges are not eligible for this program
For any queries please contact preferably through email :
Indian Council of Medical Research
V. Ramalingaswami Bhawan
New Delhi – 110 029
Dr. Roli Mathur, Scientist ‘E’, Division of BMS
Indian Council of Medical Research
V. Ramalingaswami Bhawan Ansari Nagar, New Delhi – 110 029
Telephone No. : 26588984 (direct), 26588895, 26588980, 26589794, 26589336, 26588707
Email : email@example.com
For technical support related to online submission you may call on 26588980, 2658889, 26588707
or 26589335 Extn. 333 and speak to our IT team Sh. Tarun Sharma or Sh. Vikas.