The Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies (BTS) is a full-time PhD programme of the Freie Universität Berlin, the Hertie School of Governance, and the WZB Berlin Social Science Center. All three institutions are leaders in the fields of international relations and EU studies.
Duration: 3 year
- Causes and consequences of globalization
- Governance challenges
- Comparative analysis of regional structures
- European Union as a transnational polity
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree with distinction in political science, international relations, sociology, economics, law, or related disciplines
- Applicant must have evidence of C1-level English language skills or the equivalent;
- Applicant must provide latest CV
- Letter of motivation (maximum 600 words);
- research proposal (maximum 5,000 words) with a timeline for project;
- 2 letters of reference from professors at universities or research institutions.
- 2 PhD positions for international (non-German) students funded by GSSP of DAAD for a period of three years.
- 2 PhD positions for students with Chinese citizenship funded by the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC).
- Applicants can be admitted to the programme without any scholarship, provided that they secure their own external funding.
- All applicants, except those from China, are required to apply online.
- The application platform opens on 1 December 2017.
- Applicants from China must submit their application via the Bejing Office of the Freie Universität Berlin until 4 January 2018
|Organization||Freie Universität Berlin|
|Subject areas||Social Sciences, Law, Political Sciences, Economics, Sociology|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||31st January (yearly)|
Freie Universität Berlin is a leading research institution. It is one of the German universities successful in all three funding lines in the federal and state Excellence Initiative, thereby receiving additional funding for its institutional future development strategy.
Freie Universität can thus take its place as an international network university in the global competition among universities. Development and assessment of research projects takes place within various focus areas, research networks, and platforms for interdisciplinary collaborative research.
The university’s performance in the Excellence Initiative provided funding for several new graduate schools and transdisciplinary research clusters. In particular, the graduate schools play a key role in the development of internationally competitive research centers of excellence.
Freie Universität Berlin is a broad-based university with 15 departments and central institutes offering over 150 degree programs across a wide range of subjects.
- Address Germany
Scholarships by Country
- India (1,106)
- Europe (827)
- United Kingdom (548)
- Germany (513)
- United States (477)
- Norway (247)
- Switzerland (240)
- Australia (234)
- Denmark (198)
- Sweden (193)
- Netherlands (173)
- Italy (142)
- France (103)
- Canada (98)
- Spain (95)
- Japan (83)
- Belgium (76)
- All Country (68)
- Finland (68)
- New Zealand (45)
- Austria (42)
- China (42)
- Singapore (40)
- Poland (37)
- South Africa (30)
Type of Scholarships
- Doctoral Positions(1748)
- Environment Science(2)
- International Grants(118)
- JRF / SRF(4)
- Masters | PhD(56)
- Research Associate(330)
- Research Awards(294)
- Short cources(18)
- Short courses(35)
- Technical positions(361)
- Travel Grants(60)