INDO-US Professorships strive to broaden scientific association between India and the United States though travel grants that support research and teaching partnerships. The program is sponsored by the INDO-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF) and managed by American Society for Microbiology. The application must be made jointly between a hosting institution and the visiting professor.
Teaching Professorship provides microbiologists in India and the US with an opportunity to visit institutions in the other country to teach an interactive short course on a topic in any of the microbiological disciplines.
Features of the grant:
- Courses must serve a minimum of 20 students/faculty
- Courses must include a hands-on component, such as a wet lab or other practical activity
- Academic and research institutions in both countries serve as hosts for courses offered by providing classrooms, laboratory space, and other logistical needs
Duration: 1 to 2 Weeks
Research Professorships provide support to microbiologists in India and the US to conduct a new research project in partnership with colleagues at a research facility in the other country.
- Professorship funding is envisioned to facilitate novel research collaborations.
- Proposals to support pre-existing associations or partnerships will not be considered.
Duration: Minimum visit for 6 Weeks
Visiting Teaching Professor:
- Scientifically recognized in his/her area of microbiological expertise as demonstrated through courses taught, awards, publications, etc.
- Actively engaged in teaching at the post-secondary level at an recognized university.
- Commitment to international collaborations and partnerships.
- National of either the US or India.
Visiting Research Professor
- Preference will be given to early career scientists who have received a PhD or other equivalent academic degree, within the last 10 years.
- Must be actively involved in research in the microbiological sciences (broadly defined)
- Either US or Indian national.
- Accredited institution graduate students enrolled in a masters, doctoral or equivalent program, post-doctoral fellows or residents, and teaching faculty.
- Up to $5,000 towards travel costs directly associated with the approved grant.
- Funds from the Indo-US Professorship Grant must be matched by the hosting institution.
- Up to $2,500 may be used for supplies and equipment that are not available at the host institution.
How to apply:
ASM International Affairs
American Society for Microbiology
Dr. Smriti Trikha
Indo-US Science and Technology Forum
|Organization||American Society for Microbiology and Indo-US Science and Technology Forum|
|Subject areas||Microbiology, Biosciences|
|Fellowship amount||Mentioned above|
|Eligibility||Open to Indian and US nationals|
|Deadline||15th December (yearly)|
The Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF), established under an agreement between the Governments of India and the United States of America in March 2000, is an autonomous, not for profit society that promotes and catalyzes Indo-US bilateral collaborations in science, technology, engineering and biomedical research through substantive interaction among government, academia and industry. As a grant making organization, the principle objective of IUSSTF is to provide opportunities, to exchange ideas, information, skills and technologies, and to collaborate on scientific and technological endeavor of mutual interest that can translate the power of science for the benefit of mankind at large.
- Address United States