The Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) invites applications from qualified and highly motivated students for St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship in Demography/Population Studies.
Supervisors: Prof. Hill Kulu (St Andrews), Prof. Mikko Myrskylä (MPIDR), Dr. Sebastian Klüsener (MPIDR) and Dr. Júlia Mikolai (St Andrews).
About the position:
- In the first two years (more precisely 1.75), the successful applicant will be working at the University of St Andrews.
- She or/he will become a member of the Population and Health Research Group at the School of Geography and Sustainable Development (SGSD), which combines expertise in advanced techniques of demographic, longitudinal and spatial analysis.
- In the third and fourth year, she or he will be working in the Laboratory of Fertility and Well-Being at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany, one of the leading centres for demographic research in the world.
During UK period, the St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship will cover):
- maintenance grant: 14,553 pounds per year
- research training support grant (RTSG): 750 pounds per year
- tuition fee: 4,195 pounds
During Germany period:
- gross salary: 21,944 pounds per year
- financial support for travel, research training, and data acquisition
- Applicant must hold an excellent master’s degree (first class or upper secondary in the UK) or the equivalent national qualification in any area of social sciences including statistics and applied mathematics
- Applicants must submit an application to Mrs Helen Olaez in the SGSD Postgraduate Office (email@example.com)
- Quote ‘St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship’ in the subject line of email.
- The full application must include:
- brief research proposal on fertility in one or several high income countries (max two pages), which outlines the rationale and context for the proposed study, and data and methods to be used;
- academic CV (max 2 pages) with details of two referees
- copies of transcripts of bachelor’s and master’s degrees
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR)|
|Subject areas||Social sciences|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||5 June 2017|
The Max Planck Institutes carry out basic research in the life sciences, natural sciences and the social and human sciences. It is thus almost impossible to allocate an individual institute to one single research field: conversely, it can be the case that different Max Planck Institutes carry out research in the same subject. To orientate yourself, please choose a research area first, and then a specific research field. The table will list all MPIs meeting your selection criteria.
- Address Germany