The Aquatic and Isotope Biogeochemistry Research Group at the Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Basel invites applications for two PhD positions in the field of benthic nitrogen isotope biogeochemistry.
About the position:
- The students will be part of a project investigating the stable isotope effects during elimination and cycling of bioavailable nitrogen (N) in lake and marine sediments.
- The prime goal of the planned research is to build a thorough understanding of the controls on the nitrate and nitrite N (and O) isotope signatures of sedimentary denitrification and anammox (and the interacting effects from other benthic N cycling reactions), and the N isotopic composition of gaseous N that is ultimately lost from aquatic sediments.
- The PhD projects will combine 1.) laboratory experiments, 2.) field investigations into the sediment porewater (N and O) isotope dynamics of distinct lacustrine and marine benthic environments, and 3.) mathematical modeling.
- Applicant must be motivated with a Master’s in Environmental Sciences, Geoscience, Chemistry, Biology, or a related discipline.
- Candidates are expected to have a solid background and interest in one or several of the following research fields: limnology, oceanography, (bio-) geochemistry in aquatic systems in general, and (micro-) biological processes in benthic environments in particular.
- An expertise in nitrogen isotope/mass-spectrometric techniques and porewater geochemistry will be an asset.
- The ability to work in an interdisciplinary team and good communication skills including fluency in English are essential.
Submit complete application documents online including:
- Letter stating motivation
- Experience and skills
- Contact details of at least two references
|Organization||University of Basel|
|Subject areas||Environmental Sciences, Geoscience, Chemistry, Biology|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|