GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences (member of the Leibniz Association) is inviting applications for Early Stage Researcher (PhD Positions) limited for 3 years. The positions are available under the project NoBIAS (Artificial Intelligence without Bias), funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Grant Agreement No. 860630.
About the project:
- NoBIAS aims at developing novel methods for AI-based decision making without bias by taking into account ethical and legal considerations in the design of technical solutions.
- The core objectives of NoBIAS are to understand legal, social and technical challenges of bias in AI-decision making, to counter them by developing fairness-aware algorithms, to automatically explain AI results, and to document the overall process for data provenance and transparency.
- NoBIAS will train a cohort of 15 ESRs (Early-Stage Researchers) to address problems with bias through multi-disciplinary training and research in computer science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, law and social science.
- ESRs will acquire practical expertise in a variety of sectors from healthcare, telecommunication, finance, marketing, media, software, and legal consultancy to broadly foster legal compliance and innovation.
- Technical, interdisciplinary and soft skills will give ESRs a head start towards future leadership in industry, academia, or government.
- Applicant must hold Master’s in Computer Science, Physics, or related fields
- Strong Machine Learning skills and mathematical abilities
- Very good communication skills and scientific curiosity
- Excellent command of English
- Applicant must satisfy the mobility requirements of Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions:
- Applicant must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
- Applicant must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Apply online and following documents will be required:
- Detailed CV (in English), highlighting achievements and fit to the applied position
- Scans of BSc and MSc transcripts, with certified translation in English (if the degree qualification is not in English or in the language of the hosting country);
- A motivation letter in English, highlighting why you will be a good fit for the position and why he/she wants to be a NoBIAS ESR to carry out of a PhD
- Contact details or recommendation letters of two referees in English or in certified translation
- Proof of excellent command of English (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or equivalent).
|Organization||Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (GESIS)|
|Subject areas||Computer Science, Physics|
|Fellowship amount||As per MSCA norms|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||30th January 2020|