The department Plants and Crops, unit HortiCell at Ghent University has 2 vacant PhD positions as predoctoral scientist. The selected candidate will participate in executing research in the frame of the project BIO2BIO.
About the project:
- The BIO2BIO project operates in the field of biostimulant and biopesticide development.
- The collaborative research project BIO2BIO between UGent, KULeuven, ILVO and VITO aims to develop biostimulants and biopesticides from organic waste streams.
- The project is now half way and the consortium has selected one plant extract that displays biostimulant activity and another with biopesticide activity.
- The objective is to identify the bioactive ingredients in both extracts and to valorise the selected waste stream.
- The fractionation and chemical analysis of the extracts is the responsibility of the team of Prof. Sven Mangelinckx.
- The candidates have to initially execute plant bioassays under supervision of several professors involved in the bio2bio project.
- At a later stage of the project the objective is to study the molecular and biochemical mode of action.
- This aspect requires the candidates to apply for a full PhD fellowship at a national funding agency FWO/VLAIO.
- Applicant must hold Master’s in Bioscience Engineering, Biochemistry and Biotechnology or equivalent.
How to apply
- Submit application including a CV and motivation letter to Danny.Geelen@ugent.be and Patricia.Delaere@ugent.be.
- Explain motivation to participate in this project
|Subject areas||Bioscience Engineering, Biochemistry|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||Mar 31, 2020|