The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for 2 PhD positions in Biotechnology. The fellowships are funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant.
Duties of the positions:
- In RAS, biofilters for microbial conversion of toxic ammonia to nitrate are mandatory. In addition to the chemical water quality, the biofilter may also affect the microbial water quality; either positively, through consumption of substrates and nutrients, and thereby reducing the growth of suspended microbes, or negatively, as a potential reservoir for detrimental bacteria. The influence of RAS biofilters on the microbial water quality is poorly understood and will be a major topic for ESR1.
- The microbes suspended in the RAS water are those potentially interacting with the fish in the rearing tanks, and thus may affect both the composition of the fish microbiomes and the fish health and welfare. There are indications that a major part of bacteria suspended in RAS are associated with particles, but little is known about their potential interactions with the fish and the fish microbiomes. ESR3 will focus on the interactions between the microbiomes suspended in the water and those associated with the fish.
- Candidate must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Norway for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment at NTNU – unless as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention.
- Candidate must be an Early Stage Researcher (ESR): at time of recruitment he/she must be in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent research experience) of his/her research careers and must not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Applicant must have a professionally relevant background in Biotechnology, Microbiology or a closely related field
- Hands-on experience with molecular biological techniques is a prerequisite
- Candidate’s education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- Good written and oral English language skills
Apply online and the application must include the following:
- Personal motivation letter (up to one page)
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Name and address of three referees
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
|Subject areas||Biotechnology, Microbiology|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||19th September 2021|
- Total Jobs 18 Jobs
- Address Norway