The School of Geography at the University of Melbourne offers PhD Scholarships for projects on Cities, Mobilities, Labour and Technologies. The project will be exploring how new digital technologies are transforming how people work and move in cities.
Number of positions: 02
Scholarship value: Stipend: A$26,916 per year
Duration: 3 years; possible 6-month extension
About the Project:
- These PhD scholarships form part of an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship project that is investigating how new digital on-demand ways of moving people, goods and services in cities—often referred to as the ‘gig economy’—are dramatically changing the power relations between consumption and production, creating wide-ranging and uneven social, political and economic risks and opportunities yet to be comprehensively understood and responded to.
- Appropriate fieldwork methods, sampling strategy and analytical techniques suited to exploring on-demand mobile work will be developed during the first year of the candidature.
- Supervisors: Associate Professor David Bissell (Principle supervisior) and Dr Ilan Wiesel will be secondary supervisor.
- Applicant demonstrating following skills (or a strong interest in developing them) would be advantageous:
- Experience of social science methods (especially interviews, participant observation and archive research), interest and preferably experience in scholarly debates and social theories about cities, technologies, mobilities and labour.
- Applicant must ossess excellent written and oral communication.
- Applicants with experience in one or more of the following areas to apply: human geography, mobilities research, urban studies, sociology, anthropology, or similar fields are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have completed (or be completing in 2017) a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours, or a Master’s degree with a substantial research component, or be regarded by the University of Melbourne as having an equivalent level of attainment; and intend on undertaking a full-time research higher degree in 2018.
- The scholarships are open to both domestic and international applicants.
Phone +61 3 8344 3889
|Organization||University of Melbourne|
|Fellowship amount||A$26,916 per year|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||6 October 2017|