The British Academy Postdoc Fellowships are 3 year Fellowship awards made annually to a cohort of outstanding Early Career Scholars. The aim of the British Academy in making these awards is to provide opportunities for brilliant early career researchers to fortify their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their resume and improve their scenarios of getting permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship.
- UK host institution must support applicant where they wish to hold the Fellowship
- Applicants must be within 3 years of the award of a PhD.
- Applicants must be a UK/EEA citizen, or have completed a PhD at a UK university.
- Any applicant who does not fall into one of these categories must demonstrate a strong prior association with the UK academic community.
Early Career Status:
- There is no age criterion for these awards. Instead, eligible applicants are expected to be at an early stage of their career.
- This is defined as being within a three-year period from the award of a doctorate.
- This period extends from 1st April 2017 to 1st April 2020. Exemption from this criterion may be granted for reasons occurring after the date of the viva voce examination such as: maternity leave, illness, family commitments etc.
- The applicant must already be of postdoctoral status at the time when the Research Awards Committee meets. Applicants who expect to have had their viva by 1 April 2020, are eligible for consideration, but will have to withdraw their application if the examination is not completed on time.
- No applicant who has been appointed to a permanent academic post in an institution of higher education at any time in their career will be eligible.
- The British Academy does not allow for resubmissions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship. If you have previously applied and failed to reach the Second Stage of the competition, you are not eligible to re-apply. Previously unsuccessful applicants will only be able to submit another application if specifically invited to do so by the British Academy.
Tenure: 3 years
- Awards are presented on a Full Economic Costing basis.
- There is no fixed amount awarded for the Fellowships and the value of award will vary depending on the host institution.
- Fellowship cover the salary of the Postdoc Fellow to work full-time, small-scale research expenses (up to a maximum of £6,000), costs towards the time of a guide (equivalent to one hour per month for the 36 months of the Fellowship) and the host institution’s domains and indirect costs.
- Candidates must be supported by one self-nominated referee, who will be asked to fill in a questionaire via Flexi-Grant.
- The referee should normally be the external examiner or, if not available, someone else who is as external to the applicant as possible.
|Subject areas||All disciplines offered at the institute|
|Eligibility||Open for UK/EEA and all nationalities|
|22 January 2020
19 February 2020