The Department of Mathematics at the University of Luxembourg has an opening for 9 PhD positions, co-financed by a grant from the Luxembourg National Research Fund (Ref: R-AGR-3528-13-C).
Duration: 14-month initial contract, extendable for up to 3 years, with a further possible 1 year extension if required, 40 hours/week
Role and responsibilities:
- The successful candidates will be expected to conduct research under the guidance of professors with the aim of obtaining a PhD in mathematics.
- Candidates will also be expected to contribute to the department’s many activities, including seminars, teaching, outreach and various other research related events.
- Applicants must hold Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in mathematics or related disciplines. (The degree must be obtained before the beginning of the contract but you can apply before.
- Applicants must possess good command of written and spoken English
- Strong dedication to doing mathematics at a research level
PhD advisers and research areas:
- Sergei Merkulov: Geometry, algebra and mathematical physics, deformation quantization, operads and props, graph complexes, Grothendieck-Teichmüller groups
- Ivan Nourdin: Stochastic analysis, Malliavin calculus, theoretical modeling
- Hugo Parlier: Low dimensional geometry and topology, moduli and Teichmüller spaces
- Giovanni Peccati: Stochastic analysis, random fields and stochastic geometry
- Antonella Perucca: Number theory (algebraic, analytic, computational), arithmetic geometry
- Norbert Poncin: Higher geometry, homotopical algebra and mathematical physics
- Jean-Marc Schlenker: Geometric structures on 3-dimensional manifolds and geometric analysis
- Bruno Teheux: Algebraic logic, universal algebra, order and lattice theory
- Gabor Wiese: Number theory, arithmetic geometry, computer algebra
Apply online and include the following documents:
- Letter of motivation, explaining the reasons for applying to Luxembourg
- A ranked list of up to three PhD advisors from the above list (with motivations for the choices
- Full CV
- Transcript of academic records and copies of diploma
- Names of at least two references who are willing to write a letter of recommendation on the candidate’s behalf
- Any other relevant documents
|Organization||University of Luxembourg|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|