Rhodes Scholarships for Postgraduate studies: The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate award funding outstanding all-round students at University of Oxford, and delivering transformative opportunities for exceptional students. The Rhodes Trust provides Rhodes Scholarships in partnership with Second Century Founder, John McCall MacBain and other generous benefactors. A class of 95 Rhodes Scholars is selected annually from: Australia, Bermuda, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Zambia Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, and Swaziland), SJLP (including Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine), UAE, US, West Africa, and Zimbabwe.
Rhodes selection criteria: The selection criteria are:
- literary and scholastic attainment
- truth, courage, sympathy for and protection of the weak, devotion to duty, kindliness, generosity and fellowship
- energy to use one’s talents to full
- moral force of character and instinct to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
Selection in each Rhodes constituency is by committees including Rhodes alumni and distinguished non-Scholar members of the community. In general, committee will select candidates of outstanding intellect, leadership, character, and commitment to service.
- Citizenship & residency: Each candidate must fulfil the nationality and residency requirements of Rhodes constituency for which they are applying. Please check information carefully via country links.
- Age:Age limits vary according constituencies and range from a minimum age limit of 18 to a maximum of 28 by 1 October of year following selection.
- Education:All candidates must have achieved a bachelor’s degree by the October following election. Academic achievement must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to University of Oxford. Individual constituencies may specify a 1st or equivalent. Some constituencies require an undergraduate degree to have been taken within the constituency of application.
- Applications for Rhodes Scholarships open during spring and summer of the preceding year.
All applicants should read the information about the Scholarships applicable globally, and then continue to their country-specific page.
In general terms, all constituencies will require following documents in differing forms:
- Proof of academic record / transcript (complete or in progress) of undergraduate degree and any postgraduate study
- Personal statement or essay clearly including statement of what the applicant wishes to study at Oxford and why
- Evidence of age / birth certificate / passport
- English Language proficiency
- List of referees (usually several are required) who can attest in confidential references to character and intellect of candidate, including academic, personal, extra-curricular and leadership achievements
2. Choice of course in the University of Oxford:
Subject to limited restrictions, Rhodes Scholars may study for any full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford. The basic tenure of Scholarship is 2 years, subject always to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.
|Organization||Rhodes scholarship, Oxford University|
For the full list of degrees offered by the University of Oxford, please visit www.ox.ac.uk.
For the detailed conditions of tenure, please click here.
- Name of Organisation Field Value