Apply Synthetic Chemist (Green Chemistry) at Unilever
Green chemistry is an area we are keen to drive capability in the team to create molecular libraries with new functionalities to generate the next performance set of materials.
The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team of researchers responsible for translating structure / function of materials into winning innovations supporting Unilever’s Homecare (HC) business. The role is to support the expanding ingredient palette possibilities utilising both biological feedstocks and intermediates in applying chemical modification approaches to drive superior performance and functionality.
The role is lab based in the Materials Innovation Factory.
- Utilize a range of Green Chemistry approaches to generate new range of molecular libraries for driving structure / function understanding – and aligning these to the target benefit needs of the category customers.
- Use of open-access chemi-informatic analysis and visualization tools; In silico design and synthetic chemistry to create material libraries. Candidate must have proven experience in synthetic chemistry to decorate and functionalise backbones.
- Develop and apply novel computational and statistical methods for new libraries.
- Proven track record in catalysis and high throughput chemical reactions on platforms to generate materials.
- Collaborating with complementary partners, academics and scientists (internal and external).
- Liaising with researchers on aspects such as experimental design and future work and provide training to lab scientists (students) on data analysis, in silico models models to interrogate chemical substitution and functionalities.
- Work with core internal functions such as Patents, Regulatory, Safety as requirement input and support to a variety of business challenges
- BSC, MSc or PhD in Chemistry or closely related discipline, alternatively relevant research experience also acceptable
- The applicant must have hands-on working experience in Chemical modifications, green chemistry and in silico design to support DoE.
- Design, Build and Test experience in delivering hits from chemical libraries.
- The candidate should be able to generate hypotheses, apply critical thinking to experimental design and data analysis. Compile results, prepare presentations and technical reports and present conclusions clearly to various stakeholders.
- Good communication skills and problem solving ability, ideally gained from working within multi-disciplinary teams and should possess good interpersonal skills. Strong desire to increase skills and awareness, keeping up to date with advances in the area, pro-active implementation.
COMPANY: Unilever, Port Sunlight
JOB TITLE: Chemist – Synthesis (Green Chemistry)
SALARY: Competitive + Excellent company benefits