British Council scholarships for women in STEM
These Scholarship targets woman with a degree in STEM subjects.Eligible candidates will receive a scholarship to study a master’s degree in a science, technology, engineering and mathematics program at a leading UK university.
The Council has launched a scholarship program in partnership with 19 UK universities aimed at benefiting women from the Americas, South Asia and South East Asia. The Program is looking for women with a background in STEM, who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM.
This scholarship program aims to increase opportunities in STEM for girls and women. According to data from the UN Scientific Education and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), fewer than 30 percent of researchers worldwide are women and only 30 percent of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education.
Target Group: Female students’ enrolment is particularly low in Information and Communications Technology (three percent), natural science, mathematics and statistics (five percent), and engineering, manufacturing and construction (eight percent).
We are looking for women who:
- Citizens and residents of the eligible countries in the Americas, South Asia and East Asia
- Able to take up a full-time course of study in the UK for the academic year from Sept/Oct 2021 – 2022
- Can demonstrate a need for financial support
- Undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain access onto one of the pre-selected postgraduate courses at a UK university
- Level of English required for postgraduate study at a UK university now or upon completion of a pre-sessional English course
- Work experience or a proven interest in their subject area
- Academic prestige – the UK’s universities are amongst the world’s leaders in STEM subjects
- Economic support will include tuition fees, stipend, travel costs, visa and health coverage fees
- Special support for mothers
- English language support
Applications will be made directly to the participating universities and will be available in early January 2021. Information on this Webpage will be updated as the application process in each participating university becomes live.
|Fellowship Level||Master’s degree|
|Subject areas||STEM: Natural Sciences, Engineering|
|Fellowship amount||Tuition fees waiver|
|Eligibility||Open to Female students|