The Institute for International Research on Criminal Policy (IRCP), affiliated with the Department of Criminology, Criminal Law and Social Law, Faculty of Law at Ghent University is looking for a full-time (100%) academic employee (m/f) in the domain of criminology. The PhD researcher will work on the interface between data analytics and criminology by exploring the possibilities of big data policing. ‘Big data policing’ is an innovative intelligence-led policing strategy making use of historical data to forecast when and where there is a high risk of new crime events, with the objective to use police resources more efficiently and proactively, and ultimately reduce crime rates.
- A completed Master’s degree (MA or MSc), by preference in a relevant field of study (e.g., Criminology, Safety Sciences, Geography, Data Sciences, Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Statistics, Data analytics).
- A strong interest in scientific research in general and big data and crime analysis in particular.
- Scientific and communicative skills (e.g., critical thinking, scientific writing, presentation skills, project management, methodological skills).
- A profound knowledge of the Dutch language is a strong asset as regular contacts with (police) organizations in Belgium will be required.
- A profound knowledge of the English language is a prerequisite, as the successful candidate will have to present during international conferences and publish in international scientific journals.
- Strong social skills that enable to work in team, combined with the necessary skills to work independently (yet with guidance and mentoring) on subprojects.
- Someone who integrates a flexible and creative mindset with strong administrative and organizational skills.
Application to be sent via email to email@example.com, including resume, a motivation letter, a copy of degree and study results.
Criminology, Safety Sciences, Geography, Data Sciences, Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Statistics, Data analytics
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||Aug 27, 2021|