Dual PhD degree ,Plasma Induced Incorporation of Single Metal Atoms in 2D Materials , UK and Taiwan
Description: This is the Dual PhD degree programme (4 years) between The National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan and The University of Liverpool, England. As a result, students are in the unique position to gain 2 PhD awards from two internationally recognized world-leading Universities. The project targets to develop single metal atom incorporation or doping by plasma functionalization into 2D materials like transition metal dichalcogenides (TMD), Mxene, and 2D metal-organic frameworks (2D MOFs).Its helps in energy storage, gas sensing, electrochemistry, and catalysis.
At The National Tsing Hua University (NTHU), Taiwan–
- Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) and Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapour Deposition (PECVD) techniques will be used to fabricate a range of advanced 2D materials in single and multilayer form.
- Then layers will be optimized and tested for stability.
- Surface characterization, high resolution transmission electron microscopy (TEM) of the 2D materials will be done.
- Also tested for their applicability in energy applications.
Meanwhile, the student has the opportunity to undertake NTHU postgraduate courses (Solid-state thermodynamics, Kinetics processes of materials and Transmission electron microscopy / X-ray crystallography).
At The University of Liverpool, England-
- Research including the development of both vacuum-based and atmospheric-pressure plasma discharges for the treatment and chemical functionalization of NTHU produced 2D materials.
- The techniques will be proposed to incorporate single metal atoms in 2D materials in a controlled way.
- Optimisation and characterisation of the plasmas using a diagnostic tool with optical emission spectroscopy, electrical probing and energy-resolved mass spectrometry.
- Quantitative information on concentrations and energies of the plasma species.
- Finally the resultant plasma functionalized 2D materials will be tested in real-world applications.
Disciplines: Engineering and planning or similar.
Qualifications: Master’s degree or any other equivalent degree in the relevant field.
Application procedure: Apply online using the link given below the post.
Salary/Fellowship: Students must spend equal time studying in each institution. Tuition fee is waived off and stipend of $11,000 TWD or £280 GBP/-.
|Organization||The National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan and The University of Liverpool ,England|
|Country||UK and Taiwan|
|Subject areas||Engineering and planning or similar|
|Fellowship||$11,000 TWD or £280 GBP/-|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree or any other equivalent degree|
|Deadline||30 April 2021|