To attain its ultimate goal of increasing the number of imaginative, well-trained and dedicated medical scientists, The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation grants financial support of sufficient duration to help further the careers of young men and women engaged in biological or medical research.
- Candidates who hold, or are in the final stages of obtaining a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree and are seeking beginning postdoctoral training in basic biomedical research are eligible to apply for a fellowship.
- The Foundation accepts applications from candidates who have no more than one yearof postdoctoral research experience at the time of the deadline for submitting the application (June 15, 2020), and who have received a PhD (or D.Phil. or equivalent) degree no more than two years before the deadline, or an M.D. degree no more than three years before the deadline.
- Fellowships may be awarded to US citizens planning to work in laboratories either in the US, Canada, or abroad and also to foreign citizens for research in laboratories in the US only.
- We expect that most applicants will reside in North America at the time of application.
- Foreign Students will need to obtain appropriate visa documentation, as required by US Immigration.
- You may activate your fellowship anytime from April 1, through September 1, 2021.
- The Foundation provides funds for travel to the fellowship location at the time of activation of the fellowship for the Fellow and his or her family.
- No payment is made for the transportation of household goods. The Foundation also covers travel expenses incurred for the two-day Annual Fellows Meetings held in November.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed directly to the Fellow, upon submission of expense receipts . These reimbursements are in addition to the annual stipend and research allowance.
The current stipend and expense allowance is:
1st year Stipend: $54,000 Research Allowance: $1,500
2nd Year Stipend: $57,000 Research Allowance: $1,500
3rd Year Stipend: $60,000 Research Allowance: $1,500
How to Apply:
- Applications are to be filled out and submitted online at www.hhwf.org.
- Applications must be received by The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation no later than 5:00pm EST, June 15, 2020. Late applications will not be considered.
- Please read the instructions carefully before attempting to complete the online application submission. Download the ‘Instructions and Guidelines’(580kb).
- Download the ‘Reference Letter Template’(36kb) and forward to your four referees. This form requires submission by Monday, June 15, 2020, 5:00pm EST.
- All four completed reference letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No faxes. Please convert the letter to pdf format and name the pdf file according to the instructions on the ‘Reference Letter Template’.
- Download form ‘Application Items 1-6’ (20kb). Upon its completion, upload it along with the other requested items.
- Before you click on the link below for the online application, please read the complete formatting and submission instructions.
Online Application: Click here for ‘2021 HHWF Online Application’