The Faculty of Science and Technology at Umeå University welcomes applications for a tenure track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning. The position, which is established through the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP), comes with a substantial recruitment package (see below)
Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) is Sweden’s largest individual research program ever, a major national initiative for strategically motivated basic research, education and faculty recruitment.
- The program addresses research on artificial intelligence and autonomous systems acting in collaboration with humans, adapting to their environment through sensors, information and knowledge, and forming intelligent systems-of-systems.
- Software is the main enabler in these systems, and is an integrated research theme of the program.
- The primary focus for this position is research on advanced machine learning techniques, with focus on computational and method-oriented research and/or theory development. Your expertise should primarily be within the core areas of machine learning.
- Machine learning is a broad subject with connections to several departments at Umeå University.
- Four departments (Applied Physics and Electronics, Computing Science, Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics, and Physics) are participating in the call.
- The final departmental affiliation will be decided in connection to the employment.
- The successful candidate will have an important role in developing the area of machine learning at the faculty.
- The candidate is also expected to develop collaboration across institutional boundaries inside and outside the university and within WASP, as well as to establish strong collaborations and obtain external funding from national and international funding agencies.
- Those eligible for employment as an Assistant Professor are individuals who have been awarded a PhD, or equivalent academic competence.
- Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence no more than five years prior to the expiry of the application period for the position as assistant professor.
- A person who has been awarded a doctoral degree or has achieved equivalent expertise at an earlier date may, however, be considered in special circumstances.
- Special circumstances include sick leave, parental leave, and other similar circumstances.
- We are looking for a candidate who has a doctoral degree in a subject of relevance for the position, or equivalent scientific competence.
- A high level of proficiency in both spoken and written English is a requirement.
How can apply:
- The application should preferably be written in English and is to be submitted using the e-recruitment system of Umeå University,September 7, 2020 at the latest.
- Please see instructions for what to include in the application, as well as how to describe the account of scientific and educational activities (link)
- Further information can be obtained from faculty’s contact person for this position: Prof. Erik Elmroth, firstname.lastname@example.org,
|Type of position
|Department of physics and technology
|September 7, 2020