The Department of Green Chemistry and Technology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering at Ghent University are seeking a talented and highly motivated PhD student for an initial 2-year position at the SynBioC research group.
About the position:
- The position is created in the frame of an FWO funded project, BIO2BIO, that aims to generate biostimulants and biopesticides from organic waste streams.
- BIO2BIO will establish a screening platform compiled of a large array of in vitro, greenhouse and field bioassays that test for environmental toxicity, biostimulant and biopesticide activity, unique in its kind.
- The aim is to determine the active ingredients and their mechanism of action by transcriptome and metabolome analysis.
- The candidate will join a consortium of researchers from UGent, KULeuven, ILVO and VITO who are partner in the BIO2BIO project.
- In this PhD-project, selected bioactive extracts will be investigated in greater detail using state of the art bioactivity-guided fractionation and chemical structure analysis with the aim to identify principle ingredients at the molecular level.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry or related disciplines with distinction
- Background in analytical organic chemistry, extraction, purification technologies and identification of biomolecules, or in organic synthesis and analysis
- Ability to perform in-depth and critical data analysis
- Applicant must have good computer and data management skills
- Strong motivation for scientific research is required
- Good knowledge of English for scientific discussions and written and oral communication
- Willingness to work at interdisciplinary boundaries, in close collaboration with the other project members
- Team player with a strong sense of autonomy, responsibility and hands-on mentality
- Willingness to apply for scholarships to obtain additional funding
How to apply
Submit the following documents by email to Sven.Mangelinckx@UGent.be:
- Motivation letter
- Names and contacts from at least 2 references
- Copy of diploma’s and transcripts of records
Bioscience Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||1st November 2019|