The University of Luxembourg invites applications for the Doctoral candidate (PhD student) in the field of materials science and biotechnology (M/F) in collaboration between the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) and the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biology (LCSB).
Duration: 14 months initial fixed-term contract, renewable up to max 4 years
About the position:
- The PhD student will be a member of the PhyMS department within the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine as well as the Developmental and Cellular Biology group within the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biology at the University of Luxembourg.
- He/she will work under joint supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan Lagerwall and Prof. Dr. Jens-Christian Schwamborn.
- The candidate will, on the one hand, be using microfluidic technology to produce liquid crystal elastomer tubes and evaluating their function as soft actuators, on the other hand, you will do research on the growth of ‘organoids’, miniaturized versions of biological organs growing in culture medium.
- Write a thesis in the domain of chemistry or physics, with a strong side interest in biology
- Contribute to interdisciplinary research intersecting materials physics and chemistry and biology and biotechnology.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science
- Experience in quantitative research methods and practical work in chemistry and physics labs
- Knowledge of materials physics and chemistry, including optics, mechanical properties and polymer chemistry and physics
- Openness to interdisciplinary research and an interest in biology/biotechnology.
- Commitment and capacity for team work and critical thinking;
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
Apply online and should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications (if available)
- Copies of diplomas
|Organization||University of Luxembourg|
|Subject areas||Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|