The Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN) at University of Oslo (UiO) has PhD position in chemistry. The starting date should be no later than 01.02.2021. The fellowship period is 3 years, devoted solely to research education.
About the position:
- This position is connected to a project that focuses on fundamental inorganic chemistry and is supported by the Research Council of Norway.
- The goal is to explore the chemistry of compounds containing two different monoatomic anions, e.g. sulfide-oxides, hydride-oxides, and oxide-fluorides.
- The main practical work will be: 1) to utilize various synthesis approaches (e.g. solid-state reactions, fluxes, topotactic ion-exchange) at inert conditions and 2) investigate the reaction products with different techniques, especially X-ray and neutron diffraction in combination with electron microscopy (SEM and TEM) as well as physical characterization and thermodynamic investigations.
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Chemistry, and have certified experiences in both inorganic material synthesis and crystallography. If the candidate does not have a Master degree at the time of submitting his/her application, the candidate has until 30th September 2020 to complete the final Master exam.
- Knowledge about magnetism and/or optics will positively affect the selection chances.
- Good cooperation skills in addition to taking initiative are considered advantageous.
- Some instrumental operation and maintenance tasks must be expected.
- Candidates with documented competence in one Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish) can be given priority.
How to apply:
Apply online and the application must include:
- Cover letter – statement of motivation and research interests
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of the original Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma, transcripts of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number).
|Organization||University of Oslo (UiO)|
|Deadline||30th August 2020|