Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) is inviting applications for a PhD student in Clay Sorption Mechanism Group of the Laboratory for Waste Management to perform research towards the molecular-scale understanding of competitive cation adsorption on swelling clay minerals.
- Advance the molecular scale understanding of competitive adsorption behaviour of different environmental relevant metals on natural and synthetic clay minerals.
- The selected candidate will employ a thorough approach using highly complementary methods like synthesis of well-defined clays, mineral characterization techniques, sorption experiments, sorption modelling, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and molecular dynamic simulations. You will closely collaborate with renamed European research institutions, i.e., Institute des Sciences de la Terre (ISTerre, Grenoble), European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF, Grenoble), and Institute of Chemistry of Materials and Media of Poitiers (IC2MP, Poitiers). You will communicate your scientific results in peer-reviewed journals, workshops and conferences.
Starting date: 1 October 2021
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Chemistry, Mineralogy, Earth or Environmental Sciences or a related field.
- Good communication skills in English and easy adaptation to multidisciplinary, international working environments.
- Affinity for laboratory work and thermodynamic modelling.
Apply online and submit addresses of referees for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4402-00).
|Organization||Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)|
Chemistry, Mineralogy, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||30 April 2021|