The Isotope Bioscience Laboratory (ISOFYS) within the Department of Green Chemistry and Technology at Ghent University (UGENT, Belgium) is recruiting a new PhD student (M/F/X). The PhD student will be engaged in the recently started Methusalem project COBBOF: ‘Congo Basin Forest Biogeochemistry Observatory (COBBOF): Relieving pressure on social-ecological systems in the Congo basin’ funded by the special research fund (BOF) of Ghent University.
About the position:
- The PhD student will directly contribute to field- and process-based soil greenhouse gas fluxes from various forest types in the Congo basin. This will be done through a combination of experimental research, field work, statistical processing of the data.
- This PhD will “team up” with an ongoing PhD student that focusses on CO2 fluxes, net ecosystem productivity and lateral carbon losses.
- A full-time 4-year position as a PhD-student at UGENT (start autumn 2021)
- A dynamic, challenging, and stimulating research environment
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Sciences, Bio-science Engineering or equivalent
- Strong interest in multidisciplinary research in relation to tropical forests and climate change
- Prepared to take initiative, but also to work in close collaboration with other team members and international partners
- To prepare and participate in medium-term sampling campaigns in DR Congo
- Prepared to take up part of the site management in DR Congo
- Prepared to participate in (inter)national conferences and symposia
- Excellent organization, communication (both oral and written) and social skills
- Strong interest in experimental field work in tropical African forests
- Good insights in analyzing and interpreting data
- Knowledge of statistical processing of data, whereby a good knowledge of R is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) and good knowledge of French (spoken)
How to apply:
Send applications via email to Prof. Pascal Boeckx Pascal.Boeckx@ugent.be and Saskia Van der Looven (Saskia.firstname.lastname@example.org) including motivation letter, CV (including references) and a copy of MSc diploma, with reference “COBBOF-GHG-PhD”.
|Subject areas||Sciences, Bio-science Engineering|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||Sep 15, 2021|