The Department of Materials, Textiles and Chemical Engineering at Ghent University is inviting applications for a PhD position. This project investigates whether the waste fraction that cannot be recycled yet, can be used for both its energetic and its reductive potential as alternative reductant in a blast furnace. This would substitute for part of the cokes in a blast furnace, hereby decreasing the CO2 emissions. In the project, two routes for the production of alternative reductants will be investigated: the coke making route and the torrefaction route.
About the position:
- This vacancy aims to select a PhD researcher having an operations engineering, sustainable and innovative natural resource management, materials engineering, chemical engineering, business engineering, chemistry or a similar background.
- The goal of this PhD project is the investigation of the use of these alternative reductants in a blast furnace via techno-economic analysis, while keeping in mind which material parameters are essential for the steel production and waste handling.
- The research will be counselled by the research group Sustainable Materials Science at Ghent University.
- Applicant must hold an M.Sc. degree in Operations Engineering, Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Business Engineering, Chemistry or another similar degree.
- Knowledge of Techno-economic assessment is an advantage.
- A background in thermodynamics and kinetics is also a plus.
- Applicant must have a strong motivation for conducting scientific research and dealing with complex research questions.
- Applicant must possess structured and creative problem-solving abilities, strong analytical and technical skills, critical scientific mindset and take responsibility for the development of your work.
- Applicant must have excellent English communication skills (written and oral). – Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
How to apply:
Application to be sent including electronically to: email@example.com including copies of higher-education degrees, grade transcripts and the name and contact details (e-mail) of three people willing to give a reference should be sent (please mention “PhD vacancy alternative reductants” in the subject line).
Operations Engineering, Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Business Engineering, Chemistry
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||Aug 23, 2021|