Applications are required for a two years Postdoctoral position under supervision of Prof. Saibal Roy in the Micropower systems and nanomagnetics group, Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork, Ireland.
The rapid growth of handheld miniaturized electronic devices and ‘Internet of Things-IoT’ has highlighted the issue of powering them efficiently and perpetually. Lately, integrated micro-nanomagnetic passive devices have become core building blocks of such miniaturized/monolithic powering systems.
The focus of the present project will be on modeling, development and characterizations of
- a) nano-structured, high energy product (hard) magnetic materials using patterned MEMS/NEMS structures on Silicon;
- b) exchange bias phenomenon in multi-nano-layers of magnetic hetero-structures.
- c) high frequency soft magnetic nanostructured materials in a CMOS compatible technique
The successful applicant will work as part of a multidisciplinary research team, which has a focus on the development of integrated magnetic devices. The research of this particular position will involve elements of the following;
- Review of state of the art (publications in Journals and Patents)
- Electromagnetic modelling (OOMMF, FEA) of micromagnetic structures
- Development of nano-structured magnetic materials in electroplating technique, sputtering technique, other relevant chemical/physical synthesis techniques
- Characterization (structural, magnetic- both static and dynamic) of nano-structured magnetic materials and their analysis
- Device batch fabrication using MEMS technologies on Silicon
Characterization of fabricated devices Requirements: Qualifications:
- a) PhD (or in final year) in Physics/ Chemistry/ Materials Science/ Microelectronics/ Electrical Engineering or similar with quality publications.
- b) Knowledge in magnetism/ nano-magnetic materials, and experience in magnetic measurements such as in SQUID/ VSM
Preferable: Candidates will be given preference having one or more of the following experiences;
- a) Deep Knowledge in magnetism/nanomagnetism and solid expertise in preparation and characterization particularly in static and dynamic magnetic measurements such as in SQUID (dc & ac mode), VSM etc and their analysis, complex permeability spectra measurement and their analysis.
- b) Experience with micro-fabrication (lithographic) to produce micro-patterned structure & characterization would be desirable
- c) Micromagnetic simulation of nanomagnetic patterns
- d) Ability to write the project reports, articles in high impact journals/conference
Candidates should submit a brief statement outlining their motivation/suitability for the position and their curriculum vitae, to include list of publications, the names, addresses and email IDs of three referees to Prof. Saibal.Roy email: email@example.com.
Deadline of the application: 15th November 2017
Start date: 1 st October 2018
For details: http://research.ie/funding/goipd/?f=postdoctoral .
www.tyndall.ie IRC Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Nanomagnetics