Postdoctoral fellowship for all nations candidates (all discipline) in Germany
Volkswagen Foundation: A great opportunity for junior researchers in all disciplines: The ‘Freigeist’ initiative is directed toward enthusiastic and charismatic scientists and scholars with an outstanding record: through a highly flexible funding scheme junior researchers are given the opportunity to enjoy maximum freedom in their early scientific career.
Objective of Volkswagen Foundation: A ‘Freigeist’ fellow: for the Volkswagen Foundation this means a young researcher with a strong personality, a creative mind, an ability to identify and use freedom, dedicated to overcoming resistance. If necessary, he or she will be a free spirit, enjoying the unexpected, even unexpected difficulties.
- Freigeist Fellowships aims on postdoctoral researchers from all disciplines (all subjects).
- The Foundation especially welcomes project proposals from the humanities and social sciences.
- This funding scheme is open to early-stage researchers of all nationalities.
- Applicants must, however, be integrated within a university or an extra-mural research institution in Germany from the beginning of the fellowship.
Scope of Funding: The ‘Freigeist’ scheme is deliberately left open to all disciplines and topics. The main focus is on junior researchers (up to 5 years of postdoctoral experience) working at the borders of neighbouring fields or disciplines. The ‘Freigeist’ initiative offers freedom for creative thinking, whilst at the same time providing security for at least 5 years and in the long run the opportunity to establish a career within a scientific research organization or university in Germany. The initiative even incorporates the possibility to apply for additional components during the funding period (e.g. funding of staff positions, travel expenses etc.).
Details of conditions and the application procedure can be found under Information for Applicants. Applications must be filed electronically via the application portal.
Eligibility: Anyone can apply who identifies with the goals of a ‘Freigeist’ Fellowship. Candidates must, however, conform to the following conditions:
- Their doctorate must have been obtained not longer than five years previously.
- The Fellowship must from the outset be integrated within a university or an extra-mural research institution in Germany.
- Candidates must already have changed their academic environment and moved to a new location – at the latest when starting the Fellowship. A return to the working context of the doctorate will only be accepted under exceptional circumstances.
- A previously completed research sojourn abroad, at the latest integrated in the proposed research project.
|Subject areas||All Disciplines|
|Deadline||October 15, 2020|