Two postdoctoral positions are available in the field of microbiology, molecular biology, analytical chemistry, phycology and related fields at the University of Gothenburg. The first postdoc research position is part of a project examining the role of microbial populations in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS), anaerobic digesters and in hydroponics (HYP) units with the goal of better understanding conditions that will maximize the beneficial transfers of microbes and their products among components of decoupled aquaponics systems.
The second position involves work on bacterial relationships related to biofilms, biofloc and pathogens within Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS). The candidate is responsible for cultivation in bioreactor systems of specific novel microbial assemblages that contribute to enhanced growth and well-being of live fish feed (rotifers, brine shrimp) widely used in aquaculture and ultimately the fish larvae feeding on them.
Objectives for achieving project goals include:
- increased production of energy storage and other growth-enhancing compounds such as polyhydroxybutyrate in biofloc
- heterotrophic and autotrophic microalgal enhancement of feed quality
- characterization of nutrients and their bioavailability in biomass
- acceptability and uptake by live invertebrate feed organisms
- and physiological effects on gut health.
The candidates will be responsible for
- running applied experiments in several different labs, as well as international travel to participate in meetings, working groups, conferences and visits with research partners;
- advising students in their scientific research, including research design and statistical analyses;
- leading occasional outreach activities (e.g. training courses, field days, workshops events) and working with a wide range of personnel to accomplish research tasks (e.g. students, academic and extension personnel within the consortium, biotechnologists, investors / industry.
- Good team skills, communication skills and a willingness to travel frequently and for extended periods internationally (primarily Europe, Australia, US and Asia) are required.
- Candidates without prior international living experience will not be considered.
Salary: as per norms
Duration: The positions require excellent English proficiency (speaking and writing) but do not require EU or Swedish residency, and are open to all international applicants. The positions are full-time for initial 2-year contracts.
Closing Date: 31 January 2020.
- At minimum, a PhD in a relevant scientific field (e.g. microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, analytical chemistry, phycology, aquaculture, veterinary science; other fields may be considered.)
- We are seeking a candidate who is independent and self-motivated with a proven track record of published research papers.
How to apply:
Visit the University of Gothenburg websites below for full details of the positions and how to apply.
Address: University of Gothenburg, Box 100 • SE-405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
|Organization||University of Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Country||Sweden, with frequent travel to other countries|
|Subject areas||Biological Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Aquaculture|
|Salary||As per norms|
|Eligibility||PhD. in relevant subject|
|Deadline||31 January 2020|
For more information:
For detailed announcement, job description and instructions for submission of application, eligibility requirements, other terms and conditions, please visit the links given below.