The School of Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies and Department of Near Middle Eastern Studies at Trinity College Dublin is seeking to recruit a Postdoc Researcher with experience in social history.
About the research and position:
- Successful candidate will work closely with the principal investigator and other team researchers on a European Research Council funded project ‘Arabic Poetry in the Cairo Genizah’ (APCG).
- One of the main aims of the project is to look at the history of Jews in the Middle East in medieval and pre-modern times from a new perspective.
- It aims at writing Jewish history through literature, with its focus on cultural and sociohistorical aspects at the time and examining the role of Arabic poetry in shaping this history.
- The post-doctoral scholar must be experienced in the field of Arabic language/literature and should have some familiarity with Jewish studies in general.
- Work and research experience in the field of Judaeo-Arabic is desirable.
- The post holder will be responsible for producing a monograph (shared authorship) based on the historical study of the Arabic poetry collection in the Cairo Genizah.
- Applicant must hold PhD in a relevant field viz., History, Medieval/Premodern Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic Literature.
- Proven research skills in Arabic/Islamic Literary History, Arabic literature or Medieval/Premodern Islamic History are essential.
- Research skills in medieval / premodern history and / or literature.
- Knowledge of Arabic language and literature.
- Ability to translate Arabic poetry into English.
- Ability and ambition to produce single-authored publications that reflect both the subject and methodologies of the project.
- Applicants should submit via email to: Rima Fitzpatrick, School Manager, Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies Email Address: FITZPARI@tcd.ie including:
- Full Curriculum Vitae,
- A covering letter outlining their experience relevant to the post,
- Names and contact details of 2 referees (including email addresses)
|Organization||Trinity College Dublin|
History, Medieval/Premodern Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic Literature
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||14 May 2021|