The Infrared Group of the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE) is inviting applications for a postdoctoral position in Adaptive Optics / Optical Interferometry. The position is available in the next major upgrade GRAVITY+.
About the position:
- Candidate is expected to be motivated to work with us on GRAVITY+ to take near-infrared interferometry at the VLTI to the next level of faint science, all sky, high contrast, milli-arcsecond interferometric imaging.
- The GRAVITY+ project aims at dramatic improvements of depth and sky coverage by combining upgrades to the instrument proper with wide field dual beam capability and state of the art natural and laser guide star adaptive optics at all four 8m VLTs.
- Tasks will include design, testing and optimization of GRAVITY+ and its sub-systems, acceptance of sub-systems developed by consortium partners, participation in the integration and testing in Garching and at Paranal, and analysis of test and calibration data.
- Applicants should have a PhD in physics or a related field before starting.
- Applicant must demonstrate good interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills are essential.
- Experience, including use of relevant software and hardware tools, is required in at least some of: Adaptive optics and/or optical interferometry; Development of optical/near-infrared instrumentation; Assembly, integration, test, and verification of optical systems; Data analysis and programming skills; Writing and reviewing documentation.
Duration: 3 years
Send a letter of application, a brief description of relevant background and future outlook including research interests where relevant, a CV including bibliography, and three letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE)|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||May 15, 2020|