A fully-funded 4 year PhD studentship in materials chemistry at the University of Southampton is available.
- The project will pioneer a novel parallel synthesis approach to discovery of functional materials.
- In addition to carrying out PhD research you will be closely involved in undergraduate teaching (20% time commitment in years 1-3), and will be supported by mentoring to achieve Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- The available project concerns the synthesis of mixed anion materials those that contain both oxygen and a second, heavier non-metal such as sulphur or phosphorus which have
- shown significant functionality, such as superconductivity and transparent conductivity but remain an underexplored area of chemistry.
- These materials often have challenging synthetic routes, which limit new materials development.
- We propose to breakthrough this barrier with an innovative parallel synthesis approach which will allow us to greatly diversify the known classes of mixed anion material, and identify new functional types.
- You will help to develop this new methodology and will also have opportunities to develop expertise in a range of materials characterisation techniques including use of our excellent in-house diffraction, microscopy and spectroscopy facilities and experiments at central facilities such as the Diamond synchrotron.
- A very good undergraduate degree (at least a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent). As part of the funding associated with this
- PhD you will participate in undergraduate teaching in inorganic chemistry. In year 1 this will involve teaching lab activities and support teaching with a member of staff (e.g. workshops), but in years 2 and 3 after some experience there will be
How to apply
Applications should be made online here selecting “PhD Chemistry (Full time)” as the programme. Please enter Geoff Hyett under the proposed supervisor.Apply online: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/how-to-apply/postgraduate-applications.page For further information please contact: email@example.com
|Organization||University of Southampton|
|Type of position||Postdoctoral|
|Subject areas||Functional, Inorganic, Materials & Supramolecular Chemistry|
|Deadline||August, 31, 2020|