The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit at University of Oulu invite applications for a Postdoctoral researcher position in environmental microbiology (metagenomics/metatranscriptomics of peat microorganisms).
About the position:
- This is a 2-year position for a Postdoctoral Researcher for research on metagenomics and metatranscriptomics of microorganisms involved in arsenic and antimony turnover in peatlands.
- The selected applicant will work on research tasks in a project funded by the Academy of Finland (“Capturing the unknown microbial players and genes involved in the cycling of arsenic and antimony in Northern peatland soils”; PI Dr. Katharina Kujala).
- The tasks include fieldwork, metagenomic and -transcriptomic sequencing as well as bioinformatics.
- PhD in Microbiology/Microbial Ecology/Environmental Microbiology or a related field
- Broad understanding of microbial physiology and the interactions of microbes with the environment
- Experience with microbiome related studies, DNA/RNA extraction, next generation sequencing, metagenomics and -transcriptomics
- Bioinformatics experience (experience with large omic datasets is a plus)
- Strong analytical and statistical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work both independently and with different research groups
How to apply
Applications should be submitted electronically with all relevant enclosures. The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Cover/motivation letter (1 – 2 pages) describing the applicant’s experience and suitability for the position (briefly highlight your bioinformatics, field, and/or laboratory experience)
- Most recent CV incl. list of publications
- A copy of the applicant’s doctoral and master’s degree diplomas, or, if not available at the time of application, a statement from the applicant’s university that all studies for the degree have been completed before the application date.
- Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate.
|Organization||University of Oulu|
|Subject areas||Microbiology, Microbial Ecology, Environmental Microbiology|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||December 31st, 2019|