This Principal Scientist role will be part of an innovative Medicinal Chemistry group, with responsibilities including (but not limited to)
- the design, synthesis, and purification of novel compounds for potential clinical drug development,
- including opportunity to work within Amgen’s Induced Proximity Platform (IPP), which is focused on novel and innovative approaches to modulate intractable targets in diseases using the emerging PROTAC modality.
- The Principal Scientist will typically manage a large medicinal chemistry or diverse functional team of research scientists and associates within a collaborative environment, and be responsible for providing motivating professional development guidance and/or coaching of colleagues within his/her group, as well as others.
- Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: independently devise and implement creative scientific strategies to address complex drug discovery issues through direct reports and a larger team, determine team direction to advance programs, regularly communicate progress and strategy in various forums.
- The Principal Scientist will serve as a scientific resource to the department and broader organization who will champion new technologies/ideas to enhance capabilities and train future leaders in medicinal chemistry.
- Doctorate degree and 3 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience OR
- Masters degree with and 6 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience OR
- Bachelors degree with and 8 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- Doctorate degree in chemistry specializing in organic chemistry
- 10+ years of experience in synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry
- Experience leading medicinal chemistry teams/programs and delivering candidates for clinical development
- Extensive track record of consistent and successful drug discovery accomplishments (e.g. patent inventorship, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed publications)
- Deep understanding of drug discovery and relevant drug discovery disciplines (e.g. chemistry, biology, safety, PKDM, etc.)
- Expert in modern medicinal and synthetic chemistry approaches to enable others
- Demonstrated experience managing several direct reports
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills (both written and oral)
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, Amgen is hiring in the department of Medicinal Chemistry at our Research and Development facility in Thousand Oaks CA (ATO).
|Type of position||Scientist|
|Subject||medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmaceutical research|