Two PhD Positions: Uppsala University (Ecology and Genetics)
Two PhD student positions in limnology with focus on climate change effects on ice-covered lakes in the Northern Hemisphere
The PhD student positions will be placed at the Department of Ecology and Genetics. The institute is an international environment with staff and students from all over the world. The PhD students will belong to the Limnology program, which engages in research and education on the ecology and biogeochemistry of inland waters, spanning from microscopic to global scale.
Project description: Positions are available for for two PhD students who will work with the effects of climate change on ice-covered lakes in the Northern Hemisphere. The main objective of the global research project is to assess how lake ice properties such as crystal structure, thickness and transparency will change in a warmer climate and how these changes will affect ice stability/safety as well as ecological and biochemical processes in different types of lakes.
Eligibility /Qualification required:
- Must hold a master degree (or equivalent) in limnology, aquatic ecology, environmental sciences, geoscience, environmental engineering or other relevant subjects at the time of employment.
- Interested in the physical/modelling part of the project need to demonstrate skills in statistics/modelling while candidates interested in the ecological/biochemical part need to demonstrate skills in aquatic ecology or equivalent.
- Practical work such as field work or equivalent is required. Candidates must be able to express themselves to a very high degree in spoken as well as written English.
- Personal qualities such as independence, strong motivation and teamwork skills.
Qualifications desired: Previous experience with laboratory experiments. Willingness to work in a cold winter climate. Basic knowledge in GIS. Car driving license (EU class B).
The application should include
- Letter of intent describing yourself, your research interests and motivation of why you want to do a PhD, and why you are suitable for the position; you also need to write whether you are interested in the physical/modelling or the ecological/biochemical part of the project,
- Updated CV,
- A short description of your education,
- A copy of your master degree, your course grades and a copy of your master thesis,
- Names and contact information to at least two reference persons (e-mail address and phone no.), and
- Publications produced, if any.
The application should be written in English.
Contact information: For further information about the position please contact Prof. Gesa Weyhenmeyer, +46 18 471 27 11, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Deadline: January 11, 2021
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2020/4444
Last application date: 2021-01-11
|Subject areas||Science & Technology, Humanities & Social Sciences, Medicine & Pharmacy|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||January 11, 2021|